Friday, March 14, 2014

Vincent's Birth Story

So I am going to start off by saying that this is a BIRTH story. And as beautiful as birth can be, it can also be pretty gnarly. I'd spare you all the "TMI" details, but then that would kind of defeat the purpose. No, you won't be seeing any pictures of my privates or anything, but I won't go beating around the bush. So if the word "discharge" bothers you, you may want to just look at the photos. xD 

As many of you may have read, I dealt with several episodes of "false labor" (God I hate that term >.<) and ended up in the hospital, just to be sent home again. So I decided if I ended up having contractions again, I'd wait until I either had my "show" or my water broke. On the 6th, I had contractions all day. They were sporadic, random and not very strong, but they were contractions. After a few sets, I decided to stop keeping track of them. That night I couldn't sleep. At around 4 AM, I started having REALLY strong contractions. Stronger than I've ever felt. I would literally have to grip the side of the pack n play and huff and puff through them. At about 4:30, I decided to start timing them. They were between 10 and 15 minutes apart. I started spotting a bit, but I wasn't sure if it really meant anything. By 9:30 however, the contractions were 3 minutes apart and I had my "show" - I literally broke down crying in the bathroom, because I FINALLY had a sign that this was it!! An hour later, I called the midwifery and they wanted me to just come straight there. 

When I got there, I was checked and I was 3cm dilated and 90% effaced; 2cm more than the cervical check 2 days prior at my 40 week appointment. My midwife advised I eat a bite and then head to the hospital. We decided to just go through the McDonald's drive thru, because it was close and easy. It wasn't so easy. The contractions were so intense that breathing through them was becoming very, very difficult. My hips felt like they were splitting apart. (Which when you think about it, they kind of were xD) 

Last bump photo!
After picking up food, we went to the hospital and I was admitted around 12:30. After a bit of monitoring, I decided to jump into the jacuzzi, which was a huge relief on my back. 

The contractions were still very, very strong, but the heat definitely helped. After about half an hour of laboring in the tub, the contractions were so strong, I just wanted to get out. My original plan was to go all natural with no pain meds. The contractions started becoming so ridiculously close together and intense, that I didn't even have a minute to cry, let alone breathe in between. I had to get up to use the restroom. When I did, I was hit with another intense contraction. I tried to get on all fours. I started to feel really nauseous. I vomited and wet myself. This may sound over dramatic, but I seriously felt like I was going to die. I couldn't handle it anymore. I put away my pride and said that I wanted to get the epidural, which at that point, my midwife was even advising.

I was so afraid of the damn epidural, which was another part of the reason I didn't want to get it in the first place. But the anesthesiologist who did it was SO, so sweet and reassuring. The worst part about it was just staying still enough during the contractions while she inserted the catheter. Getting it inserted was really no big deal at all - a little sting and that was it. I had a few painful contractions after I got it, but then they completely disappeared. I felt WONDERFUL. It was the best decision I ever could have made. Right then, my midwife checked me and I was dilated to a whopping 9cm. I had no idea that I was going through transition when I decided to get the epidural. I am proud of myself for making it so long with no medication. My midwife wanted me to "labor down" for a while, so that I wouldn't have to push as long. This gave me a bit of peace and time to rest. 

Wearing my "labor beads" from all the ladies in my Lucky Charms facebook group :)

At around 7, I began to push. I pushed for over three hours. Usually, they have you stop at the 3 hour mark and send you off for a c-section. But my midwife Carol worked SO hard to stretch me out and work with the baby's head to get him out and avoid it. I am so, so grateful for her. She ended up having to give me an episiotomy, which finally allowed his head through.

At 9:52 PM, Vincent Paul entered the world! Having him put on my chest and hearing those first cries was the most amazing thing I've ever experienced. I birthed the placenta with no issue while they got his measurements and he was brought straight back to me and was put skin to skin. Getting stitched up didn't even phase me. All I could do was look at those blue eyes looking up at me. :) I am beyond grateful for Mike, my Mom and my Mother in Law Lura for being there with me and helping me through labor. I couldn't have done it without them. And of course my midwife Carol. Who knows if I would've been able to have a vaginal birth if it hadn't been for her!

Even though it was a really rough labor, I had the most amazing experience with the hospital and staff. Everyone was so wonderful and I couldn't have been more pleased. The lactation consultants were incredible and provided me with so much information. They sent us home with SO much - only just yesterday did I run out of the diapers and vaseline from the hospital. They also gave me a fruit basket and a BEAUTIFUL bouquet of flowers.

If we weren't moving, I would definitely give birth there again. We stayed a second night, because I gave birth so late and they keep you 24 hours after delivery. So we came home on Sunday afternoon.

Things have been going great since we got home! Vincent is an amazing baby and I could not be more blessed. :) I will write about how the first week went in my 1 week update entry, so stay tuned!

 photo Leah_zpsc2dda01b.png


  1. <3 Beautiful pics. And I can't get over how wonderful you looked in them, my labor pics are a hot mess. Congrats on your sweet little man!!


Leah |