Monday, April 7, 2014

Vincent's 1 Month Update



Height/Weight: At his last appointment (March 21st at 2 weeks old), he weighed 8lbs 19z, was 20.5 inches long and had a head circumference of 14.5 inches. He has got a big noggin'! :D According to my home scale (which of course won't be quite as accurate), he weighs 10lbs 2oz! I used the measuring tape to measure his length and it looks like he is just a tad over 21 inches long now.

Daily: He has got a very similar "routine" to what I described in his 1 week update; Eat, play, sleep and repeat. I've begun to wake him up every 2-3 hours during the day for feedings. Afterwards I burp him (or at least attempt too - he has trouble burping), change his diaper and hold him for a bit, then I play with him for a little while before he goes back to sleep. Since I've started doing this, the feedings haven't been as frequent at night, which is awesome! I will lay him down on one of the activity mats to do tummy time for a little bit, then flip him over to look at some of the toys. In the evenings before bed, I try to do a night time routine with him as often as possible, though I need to really start doing it every night. I usually feed him first before doing anything else, since he tends to make BIG poops during or after feedings. Hehe! After (or in the middle of) the feeding, I put a fresh diaper on him, then lay him down on my bed to put a bit of lotion on him and sing to him. I finish feeding him first if he isn't done yet. I put on his pajamas and rock him until he is just barely awake, before transferring him to his napper. If he is super fussy, I have to bounce him for a while, so that he will settle down. After night feedings I tend to have to use the actual bouncer, because I very quickly run out of energy to bounce him in my lap! I try every night to put him down before he has actually fallen asleep, so that he learns to fall asleep on his own and a lot of the time, he is able to! Once he is a little older, I'll start giving him a bath every night as well.


First time in the bouncy chair!
First time doing "tummy time"
Play Time!!

Sleep: His sleep has definitely become more regulated. Ever since I started feeding him every 2-3 hours during the day and actually waking him to do so if he is sleeping, he has begun to go 3-4 hours between feedings at night. While I rock him and sing to him at night before bed, I turn off all other lights besides this glittery lava lamp I use as a night light. I also turn on a fan sound from my "Sleep" app and use it as white noise. Vince has begun to associate these things with bedtime and they almost always help him settle down for the night. As you can see in the photo, he LOVES looking at that lamp! 



Eating: Vincent now eats for 10-20 minutes per feeding every 2-3 hours during the day. At night, he goes 3-4 hours between feedings. I've begun feeding him in the side-lying position at night. It is just easier for both of us! I am not sure exactly how much he is drinking per feeding, but I feed him until he is absolutely not interested anymore. I usually store 2.5 oz per freezer bag of milk when I pump. My mom took over a feeding so I could take a nap on Wednesday and he drank the whole thing...when I got up just a few minutes after the feeding, he wanted more! So I fed him again. I'm thinking he may be up to 3-4 oz per feeding. 

Sizes: He is still in newborn sized clothes and diapers, but he has never been able to fit in his newborn hats. I'm a bit bummed, since some of them were VERY cute and I was looking forward to him wearing them! But that's okay. :) We got him an adorable hat with bear ears and it will fit him for quite a while. He is fitting in newborn clothes okay, but they are getting pretty snug. The newborn diapers are getting snug as well, especially when I change him after a feeding. I am probably going to cry when I have to bust out the box of size 1 diapers! lol



Milestones and Changes:
  • Umbilical cord came off on the 22nd of March
  • Vincent has definitely begun to find his voice - he is a LOT louder when he cries and fusses! I'll admit it's a little scary! lol
  • Went 5 1/2 hours between a feeding for the first time on Saturday night! When he woke me with his cooing, I thought I wasn't seeing straight when I looked at the clock. Then I fed him and immediately afterward:

  • He is getting really strong! When he is lying on my legs, he will grasp onto my thumbs and when I pull up a little, he will pull with his arms and lift his head! Not for terribly long of course, but it's very cool. :) He is able to lift and turn his head during tummy time as well. I like to put my foot or my hand down by his feet for him to push off of and he will push himself to the edges of the activity mat.


 photo Leah_zpsc2dda01b.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leah | www.sahmiam13.blogspot.com/