Monday, April 7, 2014

1 Month Postpartum Update

I was actually planning on making a 2 week postpartum update, which then turned into 3 week update and has finally become a 1 month update! Haha! I've quickly come to realize that all "plans" fly right out the window as the parent of a newborn, especially a NEW parent. So unless scheduling a mandatory appointment, there is absolutely no sense in trying to plan anything, even if it's just to fold some clothes or take a shower. 

And if you know me personally or have been following my blog for a while, you probably know that I am an organized neat freak who makes WAY to many OCD to-do lists for everything. So you can imagine how upside-down my world is right now. But honestly, it's okay. :) I am learning to let things go, as hard as it can be sometimes. I'll get my routine back to some extent eventually, but now is not the time to beat myself over the head about it. Especially when I get to spend every day with this adorable little sir!!



So! To the actual update:  

Weight loss: I am really VERY surprised. It was clear to me I'd loose quite a bit of weight just by giving birth, but I had no idea that breastfeeding would help me loose so much more, especially in such a short amount of time. When I weighed in at labor and delivery before I was admitted, I weighed 172 lbs. Today, I weigh 144 lbs. That's 9 lbs less than I weighed pre-pregnancy! That being said, I've been eating a lot healthier. So I will definitely continue to make that a priority, especially since I'm breastfeeding. 
The thing I have not lost however, are my stretch marks. I spent so much time getting upset over them during the end of my pregnancy. But without these stretch marks, I wouldn't have my baby boy, so I have no shame in showing them! :) They will fade eventually.




Physically: I was planning on making a separate post about this, but see issue mentioned above. Haha! Just one day over a week post partum, I started having severe abdominal pain and was advised to go to the ER. It turned out I had a bad infection and, what was thought, pieces of the placenta left in my uterus. I ended up having to have a D&C that night. It turned out that they were just blood clots, but it was good that they were removed and I was put on antibiotics with as bad as the infection was at that point. So my midwife extended my recovery time by a week, not allowing me to lift anything heavier than the baby or drive until three weeks postpartum. I am feeling MUCH better now than I was and I haven't been having to take ibuprofen for a little over a week now. 
To the TMI part: My episiotomy site is healing well and although I am still bleeding, the abdominal cramping has stopped, or at least gotten to a point where it is no longer painful and I am not as sore anymore. I'm also FINALLY able to walk without a waddle again! Woohoo! :D

Emotionally: I will admit. This has not been easy. Between having a newborn, being a new parent in general, the infection and surgery, Mike leaving for Midland on the 18th to look for work (he started a new job last Monday!), exhaustion, hormones, getting the hang of breastfeeding and the list goes on....I've been a bit of a mess. I think I am dealing with everything pretty well under the circumstances, but there are some days I just don't know how to begin to cope. But I know it has only been a month and things are starting to get a little easier, now that Vince is slowly but surely starting to get into more of a routine and I am getting a bit more sleep. 

That's pretty much it as far as the postpartum update goes! It is still uncertain exactly when Vincent and I will be moving down to Midland, but we're still thinking it will be at the end of April. I can't WAIT to be together as a family again. I don't like being away from Mike and he definitely does not like being away from either me or his son. My mom will be leaving tomorrow and I appreciated her help SO much!
As far as Vincent's update, I made a separate post, so be sure to check that out! :)  
 photo Leah_zpsc2dda01b.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leah | www.sahmiam13.blogspot.com/