Monday, September 22, 2014

Birchbox Beauty Review | August & September 2014

I really love being able to test and review new products before completely committing to them and by receiving a monthly Birchbox, I can do just that! I didn't do a review on last month's box, so I will just combine them both together in one post. I'd like to start doing these Birchbox reviews every month, so you'll be able to find them under both the "Birchbox" and "Reviews" labels! 


August Birchbox
Dr. Jart+ Dis-A-Pore Beauty Balm
I didn't find this product to be terribly special. Although it seemed to fill and conceal my pores, it didn't do a great job concealing otherwise. And the scent wasn't very pleasant - it smelled very medical.

LAQA & Co. Sheer Lip Lube Pencil
Lip color really isn't my cup of tea; I prefer to just use lip balm and be done with it. But this was a really fun product to try! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes lipstick or lip stain. It felt amazing on my lips, leaving a fresh and tingly feeling when I applied it. (I read up and it's infused with mint) 
It comes in 5 different shades: Coral, Hot Pink, Nude, Rose and Purple (which I received). I almost wish I had received it in Nude, because I'd probably wear it every day. And may I add that it was a nice surprise to receive a full-sized product in my Birchbox!



Neil George Shampoo & Conditioner
I'm not a fan of either product at all. The scent was too earthy for my liking and it just doesn't meet my hair's needs. Because my hair is very damage-prone with the amount I color and style it, only specific products work for me. This just didn't cut it. And I cannot begin to justify purchasing a 3.38 oz bottle of shampoo or conditioner for $9 as opposed to a 25 oz bottle for $5. 



Benefit Cosmetics Total Moisture Facial Cream
Oh. My. God. I love this stuff. Not only did it leave my skin feeling moisturized and nourished, but the scent made me feel relaxed and pampered. I love that the cream absorbs quickly, allowing you to apply make-up with no trouble afterward, yet keeps your skin moisturized all day. I think this would make a fantastic night cream as well!




September Birchbox

Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum
As you can see, the sample was so small, I was only able to use this product twice and sparingly. I was not a fan of the scent, which smelled a bit like paint primer. My skin flaws are not near severe enough to justify purchasing a bottle for $80.

Dr. Brandt Pores No More Vacuum Cleaner
You can really feel this product work! Okay, it doesn't feel like someone is taking a vacuum to my pores, but is cooling and tingly after applying until the product dries. It goes on clear and dries white, so it's easy to see if you missed a spot. After a couple days of use, my pores are minimized. But for the price, I don't consider it worth purchasing.



JUARA Candlenut Body Creme
As someone with dry skin, I am very impressed by this product! It felt a bit thick during the application, so I expected it to leave behind a sticky residue. But it smoothed and spread out nicely on my skin and left a silky, velvety feeling behind. The scent was lovely and it is still strong, even several hours after application.



Noir Cosmetics Long-Wear Eyeliner
I constantly deal with the problem of my eyeliner smudging in the corners of my eyes, just around an hour after application. I did not have that issue with this product! It lasted all day and didn't smudge or smear. I also like that I don't have to sharpen it! And again, just like with the lip lube, it's awesome to receive a full-sized product! This is a $15 eyeliner I received for $10 including all these other samples and shipping. Win.



Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream
Although it is totally irrelevant, I was very drawn to the bottle's design; it is very feminine-looking and made me look forward to using it! Since it was not in a can, as your traditional shaving creams are, I knew it wouldn't foam. It came out as a rather thick cream, which thinned out and spread evenly when I applied it. It left my skin feeling so soft and smooth after the shave! Although the scent wasn't quite as fruity as I was hoping it would be, it still smelled nice. I'll also add; a little of this product goes a long way. You only need a small amount to cover your whole leg, whereas with foaming shaving cream, I feel like I need 3 to 4 times the amount. 



Chapstick Dual-Ended Hydration Lock Day & Night
I've been using this product for a few days night and I couldn't be happier with it! I mean how awesome is a dual-ended lip balm?! My lips are naturally very dry and crack a lot. So I have to apply lip balm several times a day and right before bed, to keep them hydrated. This product is exactly what I need and keeps me from having to use two types of lip balm every day. I love that the daytime balm has sunscreen and the nighttime balm is extra thick and long-lasting. 



So there you have it; a little slice of paradise for $10 a month! As the mom of an infant, these little boxes are like little treasures. It's like my post box is saying "Here you go! Now go pamper yourself!". So far, the boxes have contained things that I wouldn't have thought to look for on my own, and it's a real treat to test them out and find new products! Let me know if you're interested in trying Birchbox and I'll hook you up. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leah | www.sahmiam13.blogspot.com/